~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Recession ??

After days of packing--and loading the POD--I needed a "break" from the apartment (and all the work therein). I decided I'd take my aching, tired body out to dinner. I wasn't sure where I wanted to go so drove past a number of restaurants. My KIA turned in to Golden Corral. "OK, I'll do it." (But almost never go to a buffet restaurant.) Number One: The parking lot was full, available spaces were few and far between!! Number Two: The price for Sunday dinner is $5. higher than other days of the week "because we serve steak" according to the cashier. Well, I "bit the bullet" (metaphor) and paid the price. Number Three: I DON'T EAT STEAK!! I enjoyed asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, cornbread, fish (baked), green beans, okra, potatoes... and ended with warm old-fashioned bread pudding and a cup (actually half-a-cup) of decaf coffee. Number Four: I don't eat the million-calorie desserts I saw on display!!

I was in Golden Corral for over an hour slowly eating from the wide variety of food. The scene before me was better than a lot of TV programs! The restaurant was packed!! (I had trouble finding a place to sit.) The majority of the customers were NOT senior citizens so their dinner was over $13.00. Many families of four, five and six.... I actually kept saying over and over in my head: "Recession? What recession?" I asked my server if this was a customary crowd for a Sunday afternoon. He said: "This is 'dead'; we are usually busier." Furthermore, the same people come in every Sunday and sit at the same table(s). Frequently he gets a $40. tip from a table with seven or more. Think about this for a minute: This is not an upscale "sit down" restaurant where a waiter/waitress takes your order and then serves you. This is a "buffet" where we get our own food. And the "server" (water, iced tea, clears the plates, etc.) gets a large tip. Boy am I naive!! I've believed the media when they said Food Pantries were bare because the unemployed were stretching resources. If there, indeed, is major unemployment in Shelby, Cleveland County, North Carolina, I saw no inkling of that this afternoon.

I drove in light rain to Golden Corral. Later, I got soaked walking from... to the car. It was a torrential rain driving home and frequently lots of water running across the street. I've been home less than an hour and the rain has stopped and there was a hint of sunshine.

I packed all morning (while watching and listening to worship services on TV). Everything from the kitchen is in boxes. I washed dishes--and miscellaneous. I did hand-laundry. As much as possible, everything is being packed away clean. "The end" is in sight (but no time to work on my Income Taxes)!!

Back to the topic of Golden Corral: I saw so much food being wasted. People would push aside a plate of food and go back for something else. The server carried away lots of "garbage." In Haiti, people are begging for food. Likewise, hungry people in some African countries. Shame, shame on gluttonous Americans (in my humble opinion)!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Postscript, 6:30 PM: The local TV evening news is reporting a tornado touched-down in nearby Gaston County. A mobilehome was destroyed. The owner was taken to the hospital with a heart attack.
"Nickel-size hail is some areas." More torrential rain here in Shelby, with lightening and thunder!! Cleveland County is now under a tornado warning. ~~ Wow! now some local areas are reporting golf-ball size hail.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Postscript, Monday, 3/29/2010:
"At least eight tornadoes in North Carolina..." according to NBC Today Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment