~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, April 17, 2009

A Tuber That Tames Your Appetite

Want a low-cal, low-fat, and highly nutritious veggie that can also tame your appetite? Try jicama (pronounced HICK-a-ma).

Jicama takes a huge bite out of your appetite because it's crammed full of fiber -- a plant substance that helps you feel full longer. One medium-sized tuber has a whopping 32 grams of the stuff!

Fiber Is Fatal for Appetite
In his book The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth, Jonny Bowden, PhD, writes that one medium-sized jicama contains about three times the fiber most Americans consume in one day. And you want that fiber, because it makes you feel fuller by increasing volume in your digestive tract and triggering satiety hormones.

And That's Not All, Folks!
Check out a few of the other vital nutrients found in crisp, juicy jicama: Calcium & magnesium, Potassium, Vitamins A and beta carotene, Vitamin C

I love jicama but I can't recall seeing it in North Carolina. Just reading about jicama (in the e-mail link) elevated my appetite!! Food items, and eating habits, are much different (here) than my former home state of California--where jicama is a staple. With my fetish for raw fresh food, I'm surrounded by people who eat fried food.





No comments:

Post a Comment