~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Declutterizing !!

The word "declutterizing" does not exist in the dictionary. I made it up to describe my process of getting rid of clutter. This week I have transported a sizeable quantity of new items to the Senior Center. The first trip (Monday) with things "in general" for door prizes.

Yesterday I learned of an upcoming Senior Center event for the local Red Hat Society--and more door prizes needed. So I spent hours digging into everything I own that is remotely "Red Hat Society." In California, my RHS wardrobe was extensive!! This last year I sold, or gave away, most... but I still have more than I will ever wear. Out came RHS pins and jewelry still in their original packaging. Necklaces, bracelets, earrings, watch, belts, purple purses--and a beautiful red crochet hat. Into the donation bag went the most adorable purple teddy bear wearing a tiara and a boa. Also a picture frame with simulated diamonds. I kept searching in boxes and closet. A gift package of three bottles organic milk bath (I take showers). Avon gift box of personal-size perfumed soap with decorative soap dish. New key chains in their original wrapping. Adorable angel from an arts and crafts store. Six decorative magnetic photo frames in their original packaging. Crystal jar full of fragrant potpourri. The list goes on and on, sixty-four items in all.

After delivering the RHS donation, I drove to the local Recycling Center and unloaded glass and plastic. My apartment complex does not facilitate recycling but I believe in it and keep a receptacle on my porch. My contribution is small because I don't use many glass or plastic containers but, hopefully, every little bit helps (litter hurts).

Then thirty miles to Gastonia, to Sam's Club, for gas and groceries. Fruit and veggies for me and canned goods, and Mac 'n Cheese, to donate to the Senior Center Food Pantry. To my credit, I did not stop at my favorite store, Tuesday Morning, nor my favorite Thrift Shop, Value Village. Straight home!!

For the first time in months, the back of my KIA is free of things to sell at Flea Markets. So I loaded window screens... and drove to a self-service car wash. (Not a single outdoor water faucet available to tenants at this complex.) In a day or two I'll hitch the trailer and return to the self-service and wash KIA and Little Guy.

I'm feeling so energized by my "declutterizing" project. I have a long journey but according to a very old saying from Chinese philosopher Lao-Tzu (c.570 BC-??):

A journey of a thousand miles starts in front of your feet.
A tower nine stories high is built from a small heap of earth.
A journey of a thousand miles starts in front of your feet.






No comments:

Post a Comment