~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, June 29, 2009

Weekend at Grandfather Mountain

12 noon Monday, 6/29/09, and Little Guy is unhitched from the KIA, at the apart-ment complex. "Little John" has been emptied and ready for another trip. Soiled clothing is in the hamper; trash is in the dumpster. With the exception of some laundry, we are ready for another trip.

Be it ever so humble---and cluttered---there's no place like home. I agree---and I disagree!! I sleep much better in my bed, in my apartment!! The mattress is comfortable in Little Guy but, each night, I always hear unique sounds and have unusual neighbors. Wherever I travel, I make new friends with fellow campers. ~~ It was so beautiful "on the mountain," I hated to leave. ~~

I was en route to Grandfather Mountain at 10 o'clock Friday morning, 6/26/09. It was a beautiful eighty mile drive. My only lament: I forgot my food!! When I walked out of the apartment, my arms were full. I set down the cooler full of salad, apples, bananas, and water, when I locked the door. I did all my last-minute check of lights, turn signals, etc.--and drove away. One-and-one-half hours later I suddenly realized my blunder!! I decided it was not worthwhile to retrace my route to retrieve my food. ~~ I parked the trailer on a free camp site across the highway from the meadow where the "singing" would take place. Then six miles into the tiny Grandfather Village for a few groceries. (A small prepackaged salad cost me almost $5.; by comparison my homemade salad was worth $15.!!)

Each day, I walked the meadow, and the campgrounds, and visited with fellow travelers. Good exercise; entertaining conversation!!

Saturday morning, 6/27/09, 8:51, I paid $13. admission and drove slowly up a narrow winding highway, around hairpin curves, to the Visitor's Center. I spent hours viewing the displays and watching two excellent films. I visited the large variety of animals in their natural environment. Later I traversed the remainder of the route to the top of Grandfather Mountain. The view is spectacular!! However, I remained on the parking lot side, I did not walk across the swinging bridge!!

After hours on Grandfather Mountain, I turned left when I exited the Park and slowly drove 23 miles, on highway 221, to the quaint community of Blowing Rock. Then 32 miles via highway 221/321 to Boone, and highway 105 for the return to Grandfather Village. Fifty-five miles total and a beautiful drive!! Back to my campsite at 5 PM. The evening spent near a fire circle with new acquaintances. My RVing neighbors had been coming to "Singing on the Mountain" for many years!! Campers were sharing information with one another since they had seen one another in 2008.

Sunday morning, 6/28/09, about 7:30, I positioned my folding chair at a good location on the meadow. Again, Praise the Lord, I met a new friend!! Throughout the day, a wonderful variety of gospel musicians and beautiful music!! Part of the morning I was bundled in a small blanket, wearing a sweatshirt and jeans because the wind was chilling. I don't know the temperature but mention this because later (5:00 PM) it was about 90 degrees, and very humid, when I stopped for a Subway sandwich in Morganton (off the mountain). FYI: I didn't shed my sweatshirt until late afternoon when I hitched the KIA and Little Guy for the return trip to Shelby (via highway 181 and 18). Home at 6:50 PM; total trip miles: 223. Three days: No computer, no television, no radio, no CD music; precious time for communion with my Lord. On the mountain, I felt so close to heaven!! I descended from the meadow elevation of 4300 to 869 in Shelby.




No comments:

Post a Comment