~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Memory Boxes

Remember the 5/25/09 blog ("One Track Mind") where I talked about the boxes of original material to document the copyright for [books] Frantz Families--Kith & Kin, and LaVerne Evergreen Cemetery Tombstone Inscriptions?? I'll probably have to haul those boxes around until I die!! Well, I also have other boxes that will be around until I die: "Memory Boxes."

Many, many years ago I started filling boxes with "memorabilia" for my children and grandchildren. Several boxes are pictured in a photo along the left side of this blog web site (and pictured below). Originally I bought attractive cardboard boxes, with designs. They are (or were) available from Target. After several moves (from California), the boxes fell apart!! Now I have the contents in super-heavy-duty boxes, labeled for the recipient.

What do I have in the boxes?? This is my favorite illustration: A bicycle-built-for-two Christmas ornament for son David. We had individual bicycles when the boys were growing up, and we rode them frequently. About ten years of age, David bought a tandem bike for the two of us, with his own money. I made costumes and we rode it in the local parade!! The minute David unwraps that Christmas ornament it will trigger memories of those events. (Can you see the ornament to the right of the three volume set of Frantz Families--Kith & Kin??)

Likewise, other small items that have sentimental value (to me). I won't go into details. Suffice to say, gifts that illustrate my love and devotion to my children and grandchildren. "Memory Boxes" that will (hopefully) go to my loved ones after I go to be with the Lord.


I'm not "downsizing" Memory Boxes, and I'm not stripping items from them to donate to the Senior Center for door prizes. I'm destined to keep many boxes of family history, and documentation for copyrights. I started counting boxes today and have over 125. Yes, over 125!!

I'd like to find a new home for a large variety of collector plates. I started collecting before the Bicentennial (1976). So I have plates that relate to this nation's early history. And I have plate replicas of Norman Rockwell paintings. I love Rockwell's...!! Imagine, if you will, the number of boxes with plates in their original shipping cartons.

You're right!! It was absolutely insane to move all these things from Lancaster, Los Angeles County, California, to Shelby, Cleveland County, North Carolina!! (And boxes of VHS cassettes (!) and audio cassettes (!), LOL.)

Today it just seemed the day, and time, to elaborate on my "Walking Down Memory Lane" and "downsizing" project. I'd appreciate your prayers for me as I trek down this path. (For the large picture about my project, read my blogs forward from May 24th.)





No comments:

Post a Comment