~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, October 2, 2009

Non-vegan for a night

Last night, my hostess and I had a "Thresher's Dinner" at Amish Acres, in nearby Nappanee. I assume the idea is (was) to feed a crew of hungry farm hands with a hardy meal--but really too much food for two "senior" ladies!! It was listed as "all you can eat" but we couldn't eat the portions they brought to the table "family style." First: Ham and bean soup, Cole slaw, pickles, apple butter, country butter and fresh baked bread. Second: Roasted chicken, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn. Finally: Our choice of pie from a variety of ten or twelve. Of course, we had an array of beverages to choose from. Oh! so delicious!! I ate far more than I usually do, and I enjoyed every bite!! ~~ Although my cousin Doris has lived in Northern Indiana her whole life, she had never been to Amish Acres (considered a "tourist attraction"). She enjoyed the meal and the experience eating in the big old barn restaurant--and browsing the shops. It was misting rain so our stay was confined to indoors. With sunshine, earlier in the day, we might have walked around the farm or taken a buggy ride to see the eighty-acre farm.

Due to the economy (perhaps), the parking lot was almost empty when we arrived at 5:00 PM. A few diners straggled in after us. A large tour bus with fifty or more passengers arrived as we were leaving so that was nice for the restaurant. The hostess admitted that business has been slow, when I questioned her. (I remember an earlier visit [2000] when the parking lot was so full I could barely find a parking place.) Likewise, few cars in the parking lot when I visited Amish Acres on Wednesday, September 30th.

I see a lot of RVs on the highways in this area; the Fairgrounds RV Park has lots of units. The several RV Parks in Shipshewana seemed full of recreation vehicles. But I drive by plants where RVs were previously being manufactured and the company is out of business, grass and weeds growing in the parking lots. An RV dealership, in Elkhart, completely out of business. A very sad state of the economy in this area of Northern Indiana. President Obama was in Wakarusa, at the Monaco plant, a few months ago. Because of the high unemployment... Obama has been in the area twice.


No comments:

Post a Comment