~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels # 11--Counting the Cost

When I drove North on July 8th, I encountered two detours on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Blowing Rock, and Boone. In my humble opinion, 5:30 PM was too early to stop and camp at Doughton Park (milepost 239), and if I continued to Julian Price Memorial Park (milepost 297) or Linville Falls (milepost 316.3) for camping I'd have to travel through the detours again. At a moment's notice, I decided to leave the Parkway at State Route 18 (milepost 217). That was a friendly reminder of "home" because it goes within a quarter mile of my apartment!!

I pulled into my driveway at 8:14 PM. I had traveled 304 miles since 9 AM. Over 180 miles were at 25 and 30 miles per hour!! Judging from the number of miles, and the number of pictures, you can see that I was feeling much better (Praise the Lord!!). I had traveled a total of 1193 miles in nine days.

The major expense for this trip was (understandably) gasoline at $135.70 (and I still have half a tank). If I'm figuring this correctly, that's less than twelve cents a mile!! Next was the luxury of three nights camping at Shenandoah Valley Campground--for the Teardrop trailer owners rally--totalling $99.23. Traditionally, I stay in Walmart parking lots so the RV Park was a BIG expense. On this trip, two nights (free) at Walmart and two nights in National Park campgrounds at $8.00 each (because I have a Golden Age Pass). One night, free camping, in a campground in Buena Vista, Virginia. Dividing the $115. by 8 equals approximately $14.40 per night. (I'm quick to tell people that traveling with the Teardrop trailer sure saves on hotel/motel expense!!) I left home with fruit and veggies; purchased more at a Farmer's Market in Staunton, Virginia, and (later) from a Food Lion. Add in three restaurant meals, some postcards, and a DVD of the Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway, and Great Smoky Mountains and incidental expenses totaled $135. A grand total of $385.14 for eight days!!

A very reasonably-priced vacation--and it lifted my spirits from depression to abundant joy!! On a little-traveled highway, I was admiring God's beautiful handiwork; I was listening to traditional old hymns of faith (on CD)!! Truly a "mountaintop experience"!! The weather was lovely; the food was good!!

Speaking of "little-traveled": Frequently I drove for twenty miles without seeing another vehicle. This is my private, non-scientific, survey but I believe I saw ten motorcycles to one car, and five or six bicycles to one car. People aren't traveling!! There were three recreation vehicles in Otter Creek Campground. The Host said "Isn't this terrible?" and gestured to the acres of empty campsites. I was told that they were not full for the 4th of July weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~

A hymn I listened to, and sang frequently on this trip:

Lord, lift me up and let me stand,
By faith on Heaven's tableland.
A higher plain than I have found,
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.



~~~~~~~~~~
To read the next blog of the narrative about my trip, click Greetings from Shelby.
~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment