~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, July 10, 2009

Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels #1

I left my apartment in Shelby at 8:50 AM, Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 (which does not match the date above. I don't search for a location with free WiFi. Fortunately, I knew I'd have WiFi for the weekend and could bring the reader up-to-date).

Light rain between Polkville and Morganton. From North Carolina state route 221, I pulled on to the Blue Ridge Parkway at 12:30 PM, at Linville Falls (milepost 322 approx.) The sun came out briefly but mostly overcast sky. I wrote "almost cold" in my notes when I stopped at the Parkway Craft Center (milepost 294). Due to two detours near Blowing Rock, and Boone, I was late arriving at Blue Ridge Music Center.

Wanting to return to the Music Center, I decided to stay in the area. My spontaneous decision was to visit Mt. Airy, and find a Walmart parking lot for the night.
Mt. Airy was the setting for the television show "Mayberry" with Andy Griffith. (Check the link, read all about Mt. Airy.) Both that evening and the next morning, I drove around the sprawling town but missed the quaint areas. For another travel trip, I need to visit Mayberry Days.

My notes say that I crawled into bed at 9:15 Wednesday night and out at 6:30 Thursday morning. Some trivia from my notes: "I slept well and only awakened when the employees gathered the carts from the parking lot, and the sweeper swept. Even with the noise, I went back to sleep! Most of the night with just a sheet, later with a light blanket." It was 69 degrees when I departed at 7:30 AM.

I had to double-back on the Parkway to visit the
Blue Ridge Music Center and the entire side trip into, and from, Mount Airy was approximately 100 miles. I spent almost two hours viewing the displays, visiting with the Manager, and listening to two musicians play "Bluegrass." Departed at 12 noon. ~~ Lunch (after 1:00) at Groundhog Mtn. picnic area (milepost 188 approx.). My notes say "Not really hungry but wanted to use the big salad from home."

I'm skipping over some of my notes but want to docu-ment "Ap-proximately milepost 99, 5:15 PM, the view is un-believable!! I'm on top of the Blue Ridge and can see the valleys on either side!!" Shortly thereafter, at an overlook, I finished my salad and noted "Cold wind! I put on my sweater!"

~~~~~~~~~~
To follow my trip chronologically--to see the next blog--click Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels #2.
~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment