~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels #8--Skyline Drive

I left "Daily Grind," in Front Royal, at 8:35 AM, Tuesday, 7/13, ready to return to the Skyline Drive. Two ladies politely approached me and asked to see the trailer. I always love to "show off" my Little Guy!! It's sad how many women would like to travel but they don't want to travel alone. I'll be honest, I don't like to travel alone but staying home all the time is very depressing!! Less than 30 minutes later, near the Park entrance, at the Visitor's Center, a quotation caught my attention: "The promise of renewal has always drawn people to these mountains." (I certainly experienced "renewal" on this trip!!)

Shortly after taking this picture from the Skyline Drive back toward Front Royal, I had the sad experience of seeing a dead black bear cub on the highway. Just broke my heart!! I stopped at the next store and reported it. Frankly, someone must have been driving very fast!! The mountainous, winding highway demands slow speeds and makes it reasonably easy (in my humble opinion) to stop for even a chipmunk in the road!!

I wrote in my little notebook: "Skyland, 10:52-11:20, still have pain!! I stopped to tidy inside LG because I left in a hurry from Walmart. In the sunshine, about 84 degrees, and walking around, helped." It was at that time that I suddenly diagnosed my health problem: diverticulitis. Perhaps a tiny seed from the Blueberries purchased on Saturday? Perhaps a fragment of dry roasted peanuts purchased at Walmart?? I wrote: "So I'll be OK soon?!?!"

Byrd Visitor Center was interesting and I spent an hour there. Stopped to take two pictures toward Harrisonburg. Then at Brown Mountain Overlook I stopped at a shady place so I could lay down in the trailer. I noted: "I'm so tired and have pain." ~~ I couldn't continue to drive beyond the Loft Mountain Campground. I stopped at 2:40 PM and found a nice shady pull-through. (82 degrees.) I had only driven 88 miles. ~~ I slowly walked around the enormous campground determined to jiggle the tiny particle from the lining of my colon. ~~ I went to bed early but not before I had a delightful visit with a young couple hiking the Appalachian Trail (camping in an adjoining site). It's a marvel to me how anyone can traverse the route. I walked less than a city block--just to say I've been on the Appalachian Trail--and it was treacherous!! A blind man did it!! Read Bill Irwin's book Blind Courage.

~~~~~~~~~~
To follow my trip chronologically--to see the next blog--click Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels #9.
~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment