~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Great Smoky Mtns Nat'l Park & Pigeon Forge

We had rain all night but it ceased long enough for me to load a minimum of things into the KIA and Little Guy. I left at 11:11 and I thought that was a good sign because I am rather fanatical about a sequence of numbers for the time stamp on my blog: 2:22, 3:33, 4:44, etc. ~~ It is 6:30 PM and I am using WiFi at Atlanta Bread Company in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. I'm 200 miles from my apartment.

It was raining when I left my apartment but had weak sunshine thirty miles down the highway. Rain off and on all day!! While we had sunshine, I decided to leave I-40 for the drive through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. (My first time.) It was raining when I stopped at the Visitor's Center. I used a big umbrella for the first time!! (It is top quality at a Tuesday Morning bargain price!!) Extremely hard rain driving through the Park. Unlike my earlier travels on the Blue Ridge Parkway where very few vehicles were seen, in the Great Smoky's it was a continuous stream of traffic both directions. I had the thought that it looked like a funeral procession; everyone driving slowly, with their lights on.

Driving through Pigeon Forge was an experience!! There are thousands of classic cars parked in all the spaces close to the highway. Every strip mall, every motel, every hotel, every restaurant..., with every model imaginable. Vintage automobiles in mint condition!! What a sight!! Mile after mile of cars. Folding chairs were lined up on the grass between the parked cars and the street. I thought everyone was getting ready for a parade.

Having visited Pigeon Forge a year ago, I knew of Atlanta Bread Company (with WiFi). I didn't need to eat there (here) but wanted to inquire about the event. Last weekend and this coming weekend--and all week in between. Just imagine the tourist dollars that poured into this community!!

There's a Super WalMart about a mile down the highway. (I stayed there last year.) However, there is a large motorhome at the curb of Atlanta Bread Company. They appear to be there for the duration!! I might be able to spend the night right here?? I'll keep you informed of details regarding my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment