~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels--How-I-do-it--#6


(See September 6th for beginning of this series.) Security is another concern. Yes, there are locks on my door!! No, I do not carry a gun!! At one of the "As Seen on TV" shops (near Dolly-wood, Pigeon Forge, TN), I bought the "Big Red Button." It is five-and-one-half inches square and (indeed) has a big red button. It is powered by four C-size batteries. When I hit that button a loud piercing sound blasts forth!! That should be enough to scare away any would-be intruder!! If they continue to attempt entry, I will say: "I've got a weapon." I have a 15-inch metal Mag flashlight that holds four D-size batteries. I would swing that flashlight.

I plan my parking space at a WalMart. I may park one place until the desired space comes available. I "pull through" next to a shopping cart corral. I like to be directly under a parking lot light. Why the shopping cart corral? Because I don't want the idiot driver of the "sweeper truck" to crash into me!! Have you ever watched those guys sweep the parking lot?? (Maybe not because they do it in the middle of the night!!) They are frustrated NASCAR wanta-be!! They weave between vehicles like they are trying to thread a needle.


I worked for WalMart. I have some "insider" information (ha). I park on the "grocery entrance" side because that is the door that is unlocked during the night. I make a few purchases--and scout out the restrooms. ~~ When I see "No Overnight Parking" signs, I ask to speak to the Manager. They have never turned me away and often say they will have Security keep an eye on my car and trailer. That's "howIdoit".










When your trailer is not hitched to the car, be sure to use a "boot" on the tire. No one can steal your trailer with that attached!! Order from
Little Guy.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers web site, Lady Teardroppers Forum, topic "Security," Becca writes:

Things that I do when solo camping:
* I never go to the bathhouse late at night - ever.
* Get your campsite ready for the night before nightfall hits (pick up food, clean dishes, etc.)
* Be aware of your surroundings!!! (scary looking shirtless guy camping in pickup truck)
* Don't act like a helpless lady.
* Keep your vehicle keys handy - not in your purse. You never know when you may have to hit that red panic button to set your car alarm off.
* Use Common Sense!
* Get to know the Park Ranger(s). Find out an emergency # for a Ranger.
* Tell the Ranger you are camping alone or if you are expecting visitors.

I know some of you have mixed feelings about carrying a concealed weapon but I always have (concealed weapons permit) and always will. But, it is for protection while traveling, especially alone and that's it.

So, I know a lot of the ladies have their own safety rules and I would love to hear them too.



No comments:

Post a Comment