~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Greetings from Elkhart, Indiana

Sorry!! I can't always find a place with WiFi. I'm sure there are many locations but I seldom find them. In truth I seem to go from Panera to Panera!! It's Wednesday and I am in a Panera in Goshen, Indiana. Last blog was Saturday from a Panera in Dayton, Ohio.

It has been a wonderful trip thus far!! Some rain but weather can be labeled "lovely." Speaking of labels: Label me "sentimental"!! I have been walking down memory lane and enjoying every minute. The weekend was spent with cousins.... (More details in a later blog.) I headed toward Elkhart, Indiana, on Monday morning and took a slight side trip to Fountain City, Indiana (near Richmond). I wanted to take pictures of Little Guy in front of the home of a first cousin, eight times removed. The Levi Coffin House is a historical landmark. Levi was known as the President of the Underground Railroad. He helped move fleeing slaves from the South to Canada. Very interesting life; very interesting story!!

Monday night was spent in the parking lot of a Super Walmart in Goshen, Indiana. It has the distinction of having a shelter for the horses, and buggies, while the Amish are shopping. (More pictures later.) All evening I heard the "clip clop" of horses hooves as they crossed the parking lot. All evening I watched the families push several shopping carts of groceries to their conveyance. I surmised that Monday evening must be the designated day for shopping.

Tuesday morning, I took Little Guy to the shop for repairs. Earlier today I visited... and saw the work in progress. I took pictures that I will post when I have time to write, and publish, complete information.

I'm keeping notes; there will be a lot of interesting details regarding my travels. Many pictures, too. For example: This morning I visited a "produce auction." The farmers bring their produce and the auctioneer rattles off the bid so fast I could hardly follow his jargon. The bell peppers were the most beautiful I've ever seen; the Indian Corn was so attractive; the pumpkins so large; the mums so colorful!! The apples and grapes were a delight to behold!! Here is a little barefoot Amish girl with pumpkins.

I'm staying with one of my Old German Baptist Brethren (OGBB) genealogy cousins. Always something to talk about! OGBB are a religious group similar to the Amish (similar because of Anabaptist beliefs but not so extreme that they live without electricity, telephones, cars, tractors, etc.). Here is my cousin with her great grandson (at the produce auction).

This blog is brief and intended to let the reader know that I am at my destination. I have traveled over 1000 miles. Some extra miles are attributed to miscellaneous trips in this area. Call them "pure pleasure." Yesterday, a cousin and I visited
Mennohof and had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment