~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, August 14, 2009

The Best Diet for Life

(You need to ignore the date [above] and time stamp [below] for the next several messages. I opened a new post [on those days], and saved it for later use. I was busy editing the blogs from my recent trip, doing laundry, attending a couple of meetings, etc., and did not publish.... All week without publishing!! Now I am "filling in the blanks.")

From Parade, p. 11, in the Gaston Gazette, 8/16/09: The Best Diet for Life, by Dr. Ramit Misbori


"The Mediterranean diet is among the most highly recommended eating plans. But which of its components brings the biggest benefits? In a recent study in the British Medical Journal, researchers tracked 23,000 adults in Greece. They found that eating a lot of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and legumes (like beans and peas) had the greatest impact on increasing longevity. Also associated with a longer lifespan: consuming moderate amounts of alcohol and less meat. Surprisingly, a high intake of cereals and seafood had little to no positive effect.

"In related research, a study in the Archives of Neurology showed that the Mediterranean diet reduced people's risk of experiencing dementia or of its progressing. In a group of adults with no dementia symptoms at the study's start, those who most closely adhered to the Mediterranean diet had a 28% lower risk of developing cognitive impairment. In a group that already had impairment, the people who best followed the plan had a 48% lower risk of getting full-blown Alzheimer's disease."


~~~~~~~~~~
Lorraine here to comment that my "vegan" diet is (in my humble opinion) a first-cousin to the Mediterranean Diet. Today (8/16/09), at Sam's Club, I bought a fresh pineapple, bananas, Fuji apples, grapes, bell peppers, organic mixed baby salad greens and organic baby spinach. I use quality cold pressed virgin olive oil, and quality balsamic vinegar, for my salad dressing (never a commercial product). I'd like to believe that my diet has reduced my risk of experiencing dementia!!

No comments:

Post a Comment