~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels--Biltmore Estate

The Interstate is a blessing--and a headache!! Yesterday I think it took me 45 minutes to get to Panera on surface streets. Twenty minutes today--using the Interstate part way. Thirteen miles today; sixteen miles yesterday. If you have been following my travels on the Blue Ridge Parkway, you know I L-O-V-E the back roads and I don't mind driving 25 miles per hour!! I really get nervous on the Interstate when cars and trucks are on my back bumper and I'm driving 60. No thanks, I don't want to drive any faster!!

So I'm back at Panera for free WiFi and the Manager recognized me from yesterday. I've checked my e-mail and appreciate messages from Nancy, and Michael. They were responding to the link in
Teardrop Tribune.

It was 61 degrees (outside) when I got up at 6:30 this morning. I was in the shower shortly thereafter--and no heat in that building!! The block walls are about seven feet tall with screen up to the roof. The water was an ideal temperature but I had to keep pushing the button every twenty seconds to continue having a flow of water. (I'm not complaining!!)

Yesterday, I left Panera at 12 noon. First stop a nearby "Batteries Plus" (that I saw from Panera's front window). I needed a new cell phone battery and had not been able to get at Walmart or Radio Shack. Then across the street to Earth Fare for some organics and nutritional supplements. (I don't have the luxury of this kind of market near Shelby.)

I made a wrong turn en route to Biltmore Estate and ended up driving through "Town of Biltmore Forest." The homes were breathtakingly beautiful!!

It was 2 o'clock when I purchased my ticket ($55.00) at the outskirts of the property... with 2:30 reservation to enter Biltmore house. After a long winding drive, arrived in the parking lot at 2:12. I could have ridden a shuttle bus to the entrance but chose to walk from the parking lot. It was really impressive to come out of the woods and see that massive structure. After I took a picture, a very nice gentleman asked if I'd like him to take my picture with the house in the background. "Yes!! How thoughtful of you!!"


This was the first day in many weeks that I did not wear my pedometer (simply "forgot"). I am not exaggerating; I think I walked two miles in the house!! I purchased the "audio" description ($10.00) so I heard all the interesting information as I walked through the rooms. I loved it!! Finally, after two years in North Carolina.... In fact, I loved it so much I purchased the "365 Day Pass" for another $40.00. There is so much more to see and I don't want to pay a single-day fee again!! I especially want to see the decorations, and lights, for about six weeks before-and-after Christmas. (Last week I sold the
Blue Ox bike rack; yesterday I spent the money.)

Admission includes a tour of the Winery (very impressive) and samples of their wine. Confession: Yes, I had about two tablespoons of "Festival of Flowers" rose' wine. That was in remembrance of the Festival of Flowers that I intended to see--and didn't. (With my 365 day pass, I can return next Spring for the annual event.) ~~ There is a restaurant, and "The Grill" at the Winery. It looked so inviting to sit and eat under the arbor, in the totally charming setting BUT I deemed it "too expensive." Two items that would have qualified for my vegan lifestyle: A garden salad $6., and a garden burger $13. I returned to the car and ate a few whole grain Wheat Thins to get rid of the "buzz" from the wine (LOL). ~~ Back in camp at 8 PM.

Much more that I could write. When I return to Shelby, I'll write in more detail and upload the pictures. ~~ It's almost 11 o'clock; I'm heading back to Biltmore Estate.

~~~~~~~~~~
To follow my trip chronologically--to see the next blog--click Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels--Biltmore Estate Revisited.
~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment