~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday, August 15, 2009

German native shares her thoughts of America

(You need to ignore the date [above] and time stamp [below] for the next several messages. I opened a new post [on those days], and saved it for later use. I was busy editing the blogs from my recent trip, doing laundry, attending a couple of meetings, etc., and did not publish.... All week without publishing!! Now I am "filling in the blanks.")

To repeat from the previous blog (8/16/09): Grocery shopping, and gas, at Sam's Club in Gastonia (30 miles from my apartment). A whole grain bagel and hazelnut coffee at Panera. There is always a variety of newspapers, at Panera, and I love to browse them (if I'm not using WiFi). I found an article that I appreciate--and want to share with you. Written by Nan Kirlin, in
The Gazette, 8/16/09:

"Back in the beginning of the summer, I received a phone call from ShaRae Wood, who wanted to share her recycling story. ShaRae moved from Germany in 1990 just after the Berlin Wall came down, unifying a divided Germany. She brought her German values of commitment, preservation and conservation of natural resources with her. We met at her home in Cherryville recently for an interview.

Nan: What is your impression of America?

ShaRae: America is a beautiful country. Yet, I am disappointed to see that convenience outweighs the reuse of things which produces more trash. Growing up in Germany I was taught to use storage containers instead of zip-lock bags and glasses instead of plastic cups. Food was not thrown away. Anything organic was taken to the compost corner in the yard and after some time used in the garden. Being raised in a small village we went to the local dairy farmer to have our glass bottles refilled with milk.

We also conserved water. Daily showers were not common, and even when taking showers we wet down, turn the water off, lather up and rinse. Rain water was collected from the drain into barrels and used to water plants.

I like driving here. The roads are wider and out of town inhaling the fresh air while driving gives me the feeling of freedom. At the same time the distance between housing and shops requires a car. In this area are plenty of railroad tracks and yet only used for cargo shipment. Commuter trains would be a great opportunity to save on gas and have less pollution.

Nan: Tell me about your recycling habits.

ShaRae: Recycling is part of daily living. Newspapers, magazines, plastic bottles, glass bottles, tin and aluminum cans as well as cardboard are all recyclable which I take to the recycling center.

As the saying goes 'One man's trash is another's treasure' I put to use. From lumber by the curb, I built tables and benches for my kitchen and porch. Thrift stores and yard sales lend themselves to great decorations with a little TLC, provide functional items in the household as well as my own fashion style, all in champagne taste on a beer budget.

My creativity sees potential--bed sheets become curtains, jars and lids hold material for the jewelry I make. Broken bricks and pottery are part of my flowerbed. When there is time for change, I donate what is still in good condition. I just try to do my part in making a difference in my community and the environment.

Nan: So why don't more people recycle like you?

ShaRae: There is no incentive for people to get serious and recycle. It is up to their conscience only.

Nan closes the article with these words: Maybe she is right. Do we need an incentive? A prize? How about a cleaner, healthier planet? It is up to us and our conscience...let's all pitch in and make a change for the better Gaston County."


~~~~~~~~~~
Lorraine here and my conscience dictates that I recycle. I have containers on the porch... and I take things to the Shelby recycling center. Our apartment complex does not embrace recycling--and I see so many salvageable items when I toss my garbage, etc. Frankly, I would pick aluminum out but this old lady cannot get into the very large bins!!

No comments:

Post a Comment