~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A heartfelt welcome to visitors wishing to follow my Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels. For your convenience, you can follow my trips chronologically by clicking The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina. ~~ More trailer info. ~~ The overall contents of this blog are a mix of health & nutrition, and comments about my activities. Enjoy!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels--Folk Art Center

Indubitably, I was hopelessly lost in--and around--Asheville!! I was overly confident when I left Lake Powhatan camp-grounds, thinking I knew the way to Panera by heart. There is a spiderweb of highways, and Interstates, through Asheville and I have no sense of direction whether I want to go East or West (which may actually be North or South with a compass).

Looking for an exit where I could turn around, I discovered I was near the
Folk Art Center (on the Blue Ridge Parkway, milepost 382). Good!! I wanted to visit it!! I arrived at 8:15 and had to wait until 9:00 to enter and view the exhibits. Beautiful--but could not afford any of the crafts for sale in the Craft Shop. Read about Craft Revival.

A left turn (over the Interstate) at exit 55 takes you to the
Folk Art Center. A right turn at exit 55, Interstate 40, takes you to Billy Graham's Training Center, "The Cove." This reminds me of a story I heard last week at the Southern Gospel Singing. A man visited all the historic old Missions in California. In every one he saw a beautiful gold phone and the sign: "Telephone to God. $5,000.00; credit card only." As he traveled across the United States, he visited many interesting churches. In every one, the same sign: "Telephone to God. $5,000.00; credit card only." Eventually he arrived in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina. In a rustic old church he saw a simple black phone and the sign: "Telephone to God, 50 cents." Amazed, he asked why only 50 cents. The reply: "Because it's a local call!!"

~~~~~~~~~~

1:30 PM and I'm back after one-and-one-half hours delay. At 12 noon I was automatically disconnected from Panera's WiFi because "peek time" for customers. Apparently they don't want people monopolizing the tables.

Doing a little arithmetic: I could have continued down the Blue Ridge Parkway for about seven miles and exited near Panera. Unfortunately I forgot to jot down mileage at Folk Art Center but maybe 15 miles around--and through downtown--Asheville!! Furthermore, it cost me a precious hour of time on the Internet!! Actually, I would have been at Panera at 8 if things went as planned (from camp).

~~~~~~~~~~

I was up at 6:45 this morning. It was 64 degrees inside Little Guy, 61 degrees outside. It had dropped to 60 degrees when I left camp at 7:45. It's a beautiful sunny day and no hint of rain. Perhaps my lawn chair and cushion will dry out today?!?!

For lunch, I enjoyed Panera's delicious Black Bean soup (vegan) and whole grain baguette. It's 2 o'clock at this moment and I've been able to enter data from the narrative that I wrote long-hand while waiting to use WiFi again.

~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow: the Quilt Show at the Arboretum (within walking distance of camp so I may not come to Panera tomorrow).

~~~~~~~~~~
To follow my trip chronologically--to see the next blog--click Little Guy Teardrop Trailer Travels--Quilt Show.
~~~~~~~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment